If you’re looking for a fun and artistic activity to hang by your bed or in any room, these step-by-step instructions will show you how to draw a dream catcher. Dream catchers are beautiful and mystical objects that are believed to filter out bad dreams and allow only good ones to pass through.
In this tutorial, you’ll learn what supplies are needed, how to create the main circles, and how to weave the strings to create a beautifully woven dream catcher. The final result will be a stunning piece of artwork that you can proudly display in your home.
Before we start, you’ll need some basic supplies. You’ll need five hoops of different sizes, preferably made of willow, but any sturdy material will do. You’ll also need some strings or artistic thread, markers or coloring tools, feathers, beads, and any other decorative elements you’d like to add. Make sure to check the details section for a full list of supplies you’ll need to make your dream catcher.
Once you have all the supplies ready, you can start by drawing the main circles of your dream catcher. Draw three circles, one inside the other, with the smallest circle in the center. These circles will serve as the foundation for your dream catcher, so make sure they’re nicely drawn and evenly spaced.
Next, you’ll need to create the woven web within the circles. Start by drawing a small circle near the top of the innermost circle. This will be the starting point for your weaving. Now, imagine the circle divided into eight equal sections. Starting at the top, draw a line from the small circle to the outermost circle, passing through each section. Repeat this step seven more times, creating a total of eight lines that converge at the small circle.
Now, it’s time to weave the strings. Tie one end of the string to the starting point at the small circle and start weaving it through the lines you drew. You can get creative with different weaving patterns and styles. Make sure to leave enough string at the end to hang the dream catcher later.
When you’re done weaving, you can add some decorative elements to your dream catcher. You can attach feathers, beads, or any other items that you think will add beauty to your creation. You can also use markers or coloring tools to add color to the circles and strings of your dream catcher.
Once your dream catcher is complete, you can hang it in your room or any other place you desire. Hang it near your bed to catch any bad dreams and allow only good ones to pass through. Now you know how to draw and make your own dream catcher!
Gather the Necessary Materials
Before you begin your dream catcher drawing tutorial, you’ll need to gather the necessary supplies. Most of the items you’ll need can be found within your artistic toolbox or easily purchased online.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Two round hoops: You can buy these at a craft store or make your own using wire or embroidery hoops. The size of the hoops will depend on how big you want your dream catcher to be.
- Strings: Different colored strings or threads for making the web and hanging feathers. You can find a variety of colors at a craft store or order them online.
- Feathers: Feathers are a fascinating part of dream catchers and add a good charm to the final piece. You can find feathers at a craft store or even buy them online from a source like Amazon.
- Markers: If you want to add color to your dream catcher drawing, you’ll need markers. Choose colors that go well with the rest of your materials and allow your imagination to run wild.
- Needle: A needle will be required for the weaving part of the dream catcher. Make sure you have a needle that can easily pass through the hoops and strings without causing any harm.
Once you have gathered all the supplies, you’re ready to get started on creating your very own dream catcher. In the next part of this step-by-step tutorial, we’ll check out the foundation circles and learn how to create the mesmerizing web weaving!
Step 1: Start with a Circle
When it comes to drawing a dreamcatcher, the first step is to start with a circle. This circle will serve as the foundation for the rest of the dreamcatcher’s design. You can either freehand draw the circle or use a compass to ensure a perfect shape.
The size of the circle will depend on how big or small you want your dreamcatcher to be. A larger circle will give you more space to add intricate details, while a smaller circle will result in a more delicate design.
Once you have your circle drawn, you can move on to the next step and start adding the hoops and strings that make a dreamcatcher such a fascinating and beautiful object.
Step 2: Add the Center Circle
Once you’ve drawn the foundation of your dreamcatcher, it’s time to move on to the next step. Near the top of the head circle you drew earlier, add a smaller circle. This circle will serve as the center of your dreamcatcher.
To draw the center circle, start by placing your pencil near the head circle but slightly to the right. From there, draw a small circle with a diameter of about 1/4 the size of the head circle. This circle should be positioned slightly off-center to give your dreamcatcher a more interesting and dynamic look.
If you’re not confident in drawing the circle freehand, you can use a compass or trace around a circular object of the desired size.
Once you’ve added the center circle, you can proceed to the next step of the tutorial.
Step 3: Create the Inner Web
Now, it’s time to create the inner web of your dreamcatcher. This is the main part of the dreamcatcher that will catch and trap any negative dreams or energy.
1. Take the final circle and divide it into eight equal parts. These will serve as the foundation for the inner web.
2. Using the same piece of leather or string from Step 2, create a loop at one of the dividing points. Insert the end of the string through the loop and pull it tightly to secure it.
3. Once you’ve started, continue creating loops through each dividing point on the circle, until you’ve reached the starting point again. This will create a line of loops around the circle.
4. Now, it’s time to create the actual web. Take a piece of string or thread and insert it through the first loop. Pull both ends of the string through the loop, creating a knot.
5. From here, start weaving the string through each loop. You can be creative with your weaving pattern, whether it’s a simple crisscross or something more intricate. Just make sure to keep the string somewhat tight so that the web is secure.
6. Continue weaving the string until you’ve reached the center of the circle. Then, tie a knot to secure it in place.
7. If you’d like to add feathers or gemstones to your dreamcatcher, now is the time. Attach the feathers or gemstones to the bottom of the circle, using string or thread. You can add as many feathers or gemstones as you’d like, but keep in mind that a more simple design will be easier for beginners.
8. Once you’ve finished adding any additional items, take three or more feathers and tie them together near the top. This will serve as the head of your dreamcatcher, where you’ll hang it from.
9. Congratulations! You’ve completed the step-by-step guide on how to draw a dreamcatcher. Now, you can hang it up and let it catch all your dreams, ensuring that only the good ones make it through!
- Be creative with your design! You can add more circles, feathers, or gemstones to make your dreamcatcher even more beautiful and unique.
- Remember to tighten the string as you go, especially when weaving the inner web, to keep the dreamcatcher secure.
- If you’re making a dreamcatcher with children, consider using faux feathers or gemstones to prevent any harm to animals and keep the cost down.
- Hang your dreamcatcher near your bed, so it’s in a good source to catch all your dreams.
So, as you can see, creating a dreamcatcher is not only a fun DIY project but also has a deeper meaning. It’s a way to keep bad dreams away and promote good dreams and positive energy. Whether you’re an artistic drawing pro or just a beginner, follow these step-by-step instructions, and soon you’ll have a beautiful dreamcatcher of your own.
Step 4: Add the Outer Web
You’ll need 2 more hoops for the outer web. These hoops should be slightly larger in size compared to the one you used for the inner web. You can easily buy these hoops from craft stores or online sources like Amazon.
Take your two larger hoops and place them around the outer part of the dream catcher, near the edges. Make sure they’re evenly spaced apart. Once you’re happy with their placement, use some leather or string to secure the hoops to the foundation.
Next, take another piece of string or leather and tie it onto one of the hoops. This will be the starting point for weaving the outer web. Similar to the inner web, start weaving the string or leather in a diagonal pattern, going through the hoops and wrapping around the outer edges.
Continue weaving the string or leather in a diagonal pattern, going through the hoops until you reach the end. Once you’re done, tie a knot to secure the final string or leather, making sure it’s tightly secured so it won’t come undone.
Congratulations! You’ve finished adding the outer web to your dream catcher. Now you have a beautiful and intricate piece of art that is ready to catch your dreams and bring you good luck!
Step 5: Decorate the Web
Now that you have completed the foundation of your dreamcatcher, it’s time to make it even more artistic by adding some decorative elements to the woven web.
Here’s what you’ll need for this step:
- Gemstones or charms
- Leather or any other items you wish to add
Follow these instructions to decorate your dreamcatcher:
- Take the needle and thread the gemstones or charms onto it. You can choose any combination of colors and shapes that you like.
- Once you have threaded the gemstones or charms, pass the needle through the woven web, near one of the eight circles. This will add some sparkle and detail to your dreamcatcher.
- Repeat this process for as many gemstones or charms as you’d like to add.
- Next, take the feathers and pass them through the woven web, near the circles. You can add as many feathers as you want, varying the lengths and colors to create a beautiful, flowing effect.
- If you have any additional items like leather or beads, you can thread them onto the needle and incorporate them into the dreamcatcher as well.
- Once you have added all your decorative elements, tighten the thread and secure it with a knot. Trim any excess thread.
Now your dreamcatcher is almost complete! Check out a tutorial or the source image on Amazon to see how to finish the final touches and add more details like additional webs or animal charms.
Remember, the final design is up to your imagination, so feel free to get creative and let your dreams guide you in making a unique and personal dreamcatcher.
Tip: If you’re a beginner and want to try out different techniques, you can start by drawing out your dreamcatcher design on paper before beginning the actual making process. This will give you a better idea of how your dreamcatcher will look and help you plan out the steps more effectively.
Step 6: Attach Beads and Feathers
Now that you have completed the basic weaving of the dream catcher, it’s time to add some vibrant and decorative elements to make it truly special. Here’s how:
1. Prepare your materials:
2. Choose the feathers:
Select feathers of various colors and sizes, depending on your preference. Feathers add movement and beauty to the dream catcher, so feel free to get creative with your choices.
3. String the beads:
Thread the beads onto a string or thread of your choice. You can use different colors or sizes of beads to add visual interest.
4. Attach the feathers:
Take a feather and tie it securely to the bottom of the dream catcher, using the same string you used for weaving. Repeat this step for each feather you want to add.
5. Hang the dream catcher:
Once you have attached all the beads and feathers, your dream catcher is almost ready. Find a suitable place to hang it, whether it’s above your bed or by a window.
6. Enjoy your creation:
Now that you’ve completed the step-by-step tutorial on how to draw a dream catcher, you can admire your finished piece. Dreams are believed to pass through the web of the dream catcher while the bad dreams get caught in the web and disappear with the first light of the morning sun.
Adding beads and feathers to your dream catcher is a fun and creative activity that can help you express your imagination and make your dream catcher unique. The feathers symbolize air and breath, while the beads represent dreams and their colorful details. It’s a pan-Indian tradition to hang dreamcatchers above the bed to catch and filter dreams, making it a perfect item for more than just a drawing.
For more ideas on how to make your dreamcatcher even more fascinating, you can source materials like willow branches, markers for coloring the feathers, or even buy ready-made dreamcatcher kits from Amazon.
Now that you know how to draw and weave a dream catcher, go ahead and create your own! Let your imagination soar and add your personal touch to this beautiful and meaningful piece of art.
Step 7: Add the Hanging Strings
Now it’s time to add the hanging strings to your dreamcatcher. These strings are an essential part of the dreamcatcher’s design and are typically made from beads, feathers, or gemstones. They not only add a decorative touch but are also believed to catch and trap any bad dreams that might try to enter the dreamcatcher.
To create the hanging strings, you’ll need some supplies like feathers, beads, or gemstones. You can buy these from a craft store or online on websites like Amazon. You’ll also need some string or thread to attach the feathers or beads to the dreamcatcher. You can use markers or even colored thread to add more charm and imagination to your dreamcatcher.
Here’s how you can add the hanging strings:
- Take eight pieces of string or thread, each about 12 inches long. You can adjust the length according to your preference.
- Insert one end of each string through a hole on the outer edge of the dreamcatcher, near the top. You can use a needle to make it easier to thread the strings through.
- Once the string is through the hole, tie a knot at the end to secure it in place.
- Add beads, feathers, or gemstones to each string, spacing them out evenly.
- Once you’ve added the decorative items, tie a knot at the bottom of each string to prevent them from falling off.
- Repeat these steps for each string until all the strings are decorated and securely tied to the dreamcatcher.
By adding the hanging strings, you have completed the final step of making your dreamcatcher. Now you can step back and proudly admire your handiwork!
If you’re a beginner, don’t worry if your dreamcatcher doesn’t turn out exactly like the image or the instructions. The main goal is to have fun and let your creativity shine through. Remember, each dreamcatcher is unique and tells its own story.
Once your dreamcatcher is finished, you can hang it near your bed or anywhere you’d like. It will not only serve as a beautiful decoration but also as a fascinating symbol of protection for your dreams.
If you’re interested in learning more about dreamcatchers and how to make different types, be sure to check out other tutorials and resources online. There are countless variations and styles to explore, and you can even create your own pan-Indian dreamcatcher design.
Now that you’ve learned the step-by-step guide to creating a dreamcatcher, you can confidently make more without the need for instructions. So go ahead, get started, and let your imagination soar!
Step 8: Finish with Additional Decorations
Now that you’ve completed the basic structure of your dreamcatcher, it’s time to add some finishing touches to make it truly unique. Here are a few ideas for additional decorations:
- Add beads, charms, or small trinkets to the strings hanging from the bottom of the dreamcatcher. This will create a beautiful and personal image.
- If you have any feathers, you can attach them to the dreamcatcher using some string. Feathers are often used in traditional dreamcatchers and can add a final touch of beauty.
- You can also weave additional strings or ribbons within the main circles of the dreamcatcher to create a woven and artistic look.
- If you want to get more creative, you can even draw small images or symbols on the leather hoops using a needle and some thread. Just be sure not to harm yourself in the process and use caution.
If you’re not sure where to find the supplies mentioned above, a quick search on Amazon should give you plenty of options to choose from. Remember, you don’t need all of these items to make a beautiful dreamcatcher. The most important part is the process of creating something with your own hands and enjoying the activity.
Once you’ve finished adding your additional decorations, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Tighten any loose strings or rounds to ensure that everything is securely in place.
- Insert a charm, bead, or a piece of feather on the end of one of the strings.
- Pass the string through one of the empty spaces between the circles, then tighten it to secure the decoration in place.
- Repeat this process for any additional decorations you want to add.
- Hang your dreamcatcher in a spot of your choosing. You can attach it to the wall using a nail or hook, or hang it from the headboard of your bed.
- Finally, take a step back and admire your beautiful creation.
Now that you have learned how to draw a dreamcatcher through our step-by-step guide, you can enjoy making more dreamcatchers in the future. It’s a fascinating and creative activity that helps you relax and express your artistic side. So gather your supplies and get ready to make some stunning dreamcatchers with your newfound knowledge!
How to Make a Dreamcatcher – Tips for Beginners
If you’re interested in making your very own dreamcatcher, you’re in for a fun and artistic activity! Dreamcatchers are charming and fascinating decorative pieces that originated from Native American culture. They are believed to filter out bad dreams and allow only good dreams to pass through the webs and down to the sleeper. If you’ve tried your hand at drawing dreamcatchers and want to take your creativity one step further, here are some tips to get you started on making your own dreamcatcher:
Gather Your Supplies and Cost
Before you begin, it’s important to know what supplies you’ll need and how much they may cost. The good news is that making a dreamcatcher is an easy and inexpensive project. You’ll need a hoop, string or wire for weaving, feathers for decoration, beads or gemstones (optional), and scissors. These supplies can be found at most craft stores or online sources like Amazon.
To make a traditional dreamcatcher, start by wrapping the hoop with string or wire. Once the hoop is tightly wrapped, you can start weaving the web. Here’s a step-by-step process:
- Step 1: Start by tying one end of the string to the hoop. Leave a long tail that you can use to hang the dreamcatcher later.
- Step 2: Wrap the string around the hoop to create a series of eight evenly spaced strings. Make sure to tighten each string as you go.
- Step 3: Once you have eight strings, start weaving the dreamcatcher web. Pass the string over the top of one string, then behind the next, and continue this pattern all the way around the circle.
- Step 4: Repeat the weaving process for several rounds, gradually working your way towards the center of the hoop.
- Step 5: Once you’ve reached the center, tie off the string and cut any excess. You can add beads or gemstones to the strings for an extra touch of decoration.
Now that you know the basic steps, you can let your creativity run wild! Feel free to experiment with different colors, patterns, and materials to create a unique and artistic dreamcatcher.
Tips and Tricks
- Remember to choose feathers that are legally sourced and do not harm any animals.
- If you’re struggling with weaving, you can buy dreamcatcher weaving hoops that already have the strings attached.
- Consider checking out online tutorials or books for more in-depth instructions and inspiration.
Once you finish making your dreamcatcher, you’ll have a beautiful and meaningful piece of art that you can hang up and enjoy. Happy crafting!
What materials do I need to draw a dream catcher?
To draw a dream catcher, you will need a pencil, eraser, paper, and colored pencils or markers if you want to add color to your drawing.
Is it difficult to draw a dream catcher?
Drawing a dream catcher can be challenging if you are a beginner, but with practice and following the step-by-step guide, you should be able to create a beautiful drawing.
How long does it take to draw a dream catcher?
The time it takes to draw a dream catcher can vary depending on your skill level and the amount of detail you want to include. On average, it may take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
Can I personalize my dream catcher drawing?
Absolutely! You can personalize your dream catcher drawing by adding your own patterns or symbols, using different colors, or even incorporating meaningful elements that represent something important to you.
What materials do I need to draw a dream catcher?
To draw a dream catcher, you will need a pencil, eraser, paper, and colored pencils or markers.
Do I need any artistic talent to draw a dream catcher?
No, artistic talent is not necessary. This step-by-step guide will help you learn how to draw a dream catcher regardless of your skill level.
How long does it take to draw a dream catcher?
The time it takes to draw a dream catcher can vary depending on your drawing speed and level of detail. On average, it may take around 30 minutes to an hour to complete.
Can I customize the design of my dream catcher?
Yes, absolutely! Once you have the basic structure of the dream catcher drawn, you can add your own creative touches and embellishments to make it unique to your style.
Are there any tips for beginners learning to draw a dream catcher?
Yes, here are a few tips: Start with light pencil lines, so it’s easier to erase any mistakes. Break down the drawing into simple shapes and lines. Take your time and practice each step before moving on to the next. Don’t be afraid to experiment and have fun with the design!